Pure Love Renaissance : C72 Omake! – Itasha

Itasha is written in Japanese as 痛車 or イタ車, which basically reads as ‘hurt car’ (although the second can also mean ‘Italian car’, but anyone who would do this to a Lamborghini…). It’s the Otakuisation of a car by adding decals, stickers, shades & even cramming the car full of character goods and such. In the past I’ve seen such mods as sailor uniform seat covers and the entire cast of To Heart 2 immortalised in gachapon figures across the hood of the car. Here are some photos I snapped off on Day 3 of Comiket 72 this year.

1171064106_255dcf3630.jpg 1171063854_9c4fb99bca.jpg 1171063616_d8b2f506e2.jpg 1171063118_76e03e78c3.jpg 1170206623_97c4c199d4.jpg 1170205617_c4ad94cda7.jpg 1170204909_aa703c1722.jpg 1170205133_f6795006241.jpg 1171062250_2fd954366a1.jpg

BLATANT PLUG : If you missed out on Comiket 72 but want some of the spoils, I bought some doubles of some of the more popular/limited items. They’re up for auction here and contain a number of Lucky Star items (including ‘Bu~bu~Kagabu~’ with pencil board) & the infamous Ero Crown.

Shipon lives in Northern Japan where he is enjoying the withdrawal of summer. He is hunting for a haori with which to fortify himself for winter.

, , , , ,

0 Responses to Pure Love Renaissance : C72 Omake! – Itasha

1. fake August 27, 2007 at 12:11 pm #

where can i get some of those decal? so cool.

2. icie August 27, 2007 at 12:36 pm #

I’m kinda out of touch with the Itasha scene, but can someone explain a bit why it’s frowned upon to take photos of them?

3. Shingo August 27, 2007 at 2:04 pm #

>>fake
    I know absolutely nothing about the scene, but I’m guessing you’d have to go to a Japanese body shop that specializes in them.
    >>icie
    Photos of people or their personally identifiable possessions (such as cars with license plates) in potentially compromising locations (such as Akihabara or Comiket) are avoided here as the status quo; probably out of a “do unto others as you would have them do unto you” philosophy. That doesn’t explain why itasha photography in particular is frowned upon, perhaps Shipon can speak more to the facts on the ground in this particular instance.

4. dogtato August 27, 2007 at 2:24 pm #

If you took a picture to a sign shop they could print it out in vinyl sticker form and put it on your car. Not cheaply, of course.

5. Shipon August 27, 2007 at 2:52 pm #

fake>>
    Get your graphic designer friend to do up your artwork then go to a store that does sign writing/car graphics. They’ll use a vinyl printer to cut out the decals then apply them to the car.
    icie>>
    Notice there are no number plates? Or I have blanked them out? It’s partially that, it’s also just plain bloody politeness. I asked before I took photos.

6. fake August 27, 2007 at 4:28 pm #

vinyl stickers huh. i see some care at my school that has like mashimaro on the door to the gas think so i thought they would sell stuff like that around.
    i don’t know any car graphic shop but thanks for the info.
    can vinyl stickers be taken off and reuse?

7. P Laskey August 27, 2007 at 5:11 pm #

Guess; these “stickers” are non adhesive, the vinyl will “cling” to a smooth surface, this is why they are applied to the glass in most cases.

8. Shipon August 27, 2007 at 6:06 pm #

These instructions should help you understand. They can’t be reused.

9. J2xC August 28, 2007 at 11:53 am #

There are a number of circles that sell pre-made transfers for cars, and even a few shops around akiba(in fact I bought a neat one that I thought was a normal sticker like this by accident… Now I just need a car).

10. Sydney2K August 28, 2007 at 6:24 pm #

How does Shipon know if a car’s owned by a soccer mum? (I am assuming of course that there are such things as soccer mums in Japan.)

11. Shipon August 28, 2007 at 7:20 pm #

Sydney2K>>
    We have sports cars and little yellow-plate runarounds in the photos above. In Japan your typical mum drives a Daihatsu move or other such yellow plate box because the registration is cheaper and the fuel cost is less, which is fine for a little about-town runabout.
    It’s a joke, Joyce.

12. Sydney2K August 29, 2007 at 7:26 pm #

Shipon>>
    Thanks for the explanation- Now I Get It!