Tokyo Teleport Station: The Triumphant Return of UCC Coffee

Tokyo Teleport Station Banner

Courtesy of Moe Yo! news has come down the pipe marking the “renewal” of Evangelion-branded UCC Coffee. Available until September 17th, these new cans feature updated artwork, presumably based on the designs of the new Evangelion movies. A side-by-side comparison of some of the new and old art is available here.

UCC 1
It’s good stuff,
trust me
Perhaps even more exciting is the announcement that UCC coffee is now being sold (from a vending machine no less) in front of the Kotobukiya in the Radio Kaikan building. That’s right! After a curious absence of many years, UCC Coffee is making a glorious return to Akihabara. In celebration of this historic event, a wonderfully creepy Rei Ayanami cosplayer was on hand to pimp coffee and pose alongside her 2D self. To further commemorate the occasion, Gainax and UCC have launched a web site chronicling the proud history that Evangelion and UCC have together, and they appear to be releasing new promotional materials daily.
This event has also given me a renewed hope for the forthcoming Eva movies, not that I was particularly down on them before. After all, what better way to truly capture the spirit of the original Evangelion than with coffee?
Seiya is an anime fan from Boston who is also an avid coffee drinker. He awaits new Evangelion movies with bated breath and shaking hands.

0 Responses to Tokyo Teleport Station: The Triumphant Return of UCC Coffee

1. Rah-Rah June 27, 2007 at 11:38 pm #

This is pretty cool news. Now I have something else to look foward to when I go to japan in september and hopefully see the premire. I wonder if they are gonna do something similer for the second movie (Which I think is out next summer).

2. Zer0 June 28, 2007 at 12:29 am #

This saturday, the otakus are going to stage a demonstration in Akihabara. It’s going to be known as “6.30 Akihabara Liberation Demo”. Details:

3. P Laskey June 28, 2007 at 3:08 am #

Am I right in thinking UCC was the first Japanese canned coffee of any sort? Also is that a Rei figure I see at the bottom of the press ad?

4. Agent Wax June 28, 2007 at 1:32 pm #

More importantly, is UCC coffee any good? It’s sold even where I live, but the import costs make the brand’s prices exorbitant. I tried BOSS coffee when I was in Japan, but never got the chance to try UCC…

5. Shiro June 28, 2007 at 9:25 pm #

So i take it this is to help fans who plan to see the movie to stay awake? Genius — i wouldn’t mind a can.

6. Seiya June 29, 2007 at 1:25 am #

>>Rah-Rah
    Lucky bastard. I don’t know if they’ll repeat the coffee promotion, but I hope that something special happens for the second movie.
    >>Zer0
    My god, that sounds epic if it lives up to its promise. I hope we get some kind of coverage of this when it happens.
    >>P Laskey
    They claim that not only are they the first in Japan, they are first in the world. And yes, I’m not sure what the circumstances are related to that Rei, but it appears to be related somehow. Just more figures I’ll never be able to acquire *sigh*.
    >>Shiro
    Ouch. Just ouch. Although I should point out that almost all Japanese theaters will sell you beer at their concession stands. This will make any movie better.

7. Rah-Rah June 29, 2007 at 7:14 am #

>>Seiya
    I think Shiro was kidding there ^^;;

8. Shiro June 29, 2007 at 9:22 pm #

Sorry if it sounded like a joke, ’cause it wasn’t meant to be one.

9. Seiya June 29, 2007 at 10:24 pm #

>>Agent Wax
    I personally prefer UCC to BOSS by a pretty wide margin. As for not having the chance to try it, this is precisely the sort of problem I’m hoping just got solved.
    >>Shiro & Rah
    COFFEE IS NO LAUGHING MATTER!