Anime News: Gundam 00 announced, character designs by Kouga Yun

Kouga Yun's Gestalt Kouga Yun's Gestalt Kouga Yun's Gestalt Kouga Yun's Gestalt Kouga Yun's Gestalt Kouga Yun's Gestalt

A cursory investigation was unable to turn up the precise dates of Gestalt’s serialization (Wikipedia credits its initial run to 1995), but a look at these covers reveals a gradually maturing female design style that I think bodes well for what we can expect in Gundam 00. While the character on the cover of volume one resembles nothing more than a bishounen with breasts, by volume six it seems Kouga has a much more solid grasp on gender distinction. Gestalt was animated as a two episode OVA in 1997 as well, the best online coverage of which seems to be available at Smashed Ice.
From the perspective of a design-obsessed and Gundam agnostic fan such as myself bringing Kouga Yun into the franchise strikes me as a good move. Gundam’s character designs have always lagged behind their mechanical designs, in my opinion; while there are those who will protest the incorporation of colorful characters alongside their colorful mechs I say bring it on – Clamp and Kimura Takahiro were a winning combination for Geass, currently my gauge for the best in dramatic robot anime, and I expect (hope) Kouga will do the same for Gundam 00. We’ll be watching for further news on its bishoujo elements as the series is gradually unveiled.

, , , ,

0 Responses to Anime News: Gundam 00 announced, character designs by Kouga Yun

1. e-jump June 3, 2007 at 8:36 am #

im looking forward to the new art style in gundam. Few seasons of C.E gundam, now we need something new.

2. kuromitsu June 3, 2007 at 9:16 am #

Dunno… I really like Kouga’s style, and I appreciate “colorful characters,” but I fear that this new Gundam will be yet another “harem of angsty bishounen” (+ the occasional girl for the male viewers) kind of show. Meh.

3. CMWilly June 3, 2007 at 10:32 am #

is this the new series where katoki hajime is designing the mechs this time around?

4. Demian June 3, 2007 at 11:56 am #

Her female designs are nice, especially for big breasts afficiendos like myself, but there’s still a certain indistinction between the characters. In the right clothing, it’s still a guessing game. But I have no serious complaints. As long as it’s not Hirai anyone’s fine.

5. Agent Wax June 3, 2007 at 2:08 pm #

Personally, I find the artwork okay, but I view Gundam series the way I view Evangelion, but with increased apprehension and exasperation:
    “Good God, Do we really need MORE Gundam?!”

6. Shingo June 3, 2007 at 2:40 pm #

>>e-jump
    Having watched very little Gundam at all (beyond fifteen episodes of SEED, which I regret wholeheartedly) I’m looking forward to this as something I might finally be able to sink my teeth into.
    >>kuromitsu
    “harem of angsty bishounen” is right… this would be the worst possible outcome and the primary reason for me not watching the show if it turns out to be the case. Buck the trend, Gundam! You can do it!
    >>CMWilly
    I have no idea. orz
    >>Demian
    Agreed with you on the Hirai count. His designs were fine in Scryed, but having to see them OVER AND OVER AND OVER since then it’s gotten to the point where seeing them whips me into a manic frenzy of rage (Meer excluded).
    >>Agent Wax
    “Do we really need MORE Gundam?!” – The answer is definitely no, but it’s just as definite that more Gundam will be produced regardless of any of our opinions on the matter. I’d rather grasp at slim straws of hope than ignore the show from the outset, though I have a feeling I’m just setting myself up for disappointment…

7. kujoe June 3, 2007 at 5:30 pm #

“Buck the trend?”
    I’m pretty sure that the folks behind this would want to attract male and female fans at the same time. Such a possible outcome won’t be surprising at all if it does turn out that way.
    But yes—another Gundam and the world goes on as usual. Count me in as one of these so-called Gundam agnostics.

8. P Laskey June 3, 2007 at 6:29 pm #

I’m wondering exactly how an anime about mech warfare turned into something more like gender warfare.

9. kuromitsu June 3, 2007 at 7:17 pm #

>P Laskey
    Personally, I blame Gundam Wing. As far as I know, it was the first mecha show that tried to appeal to the female audience by with the “angsty bishounen in mecha” concept, and it was popular enough to set an example to follow. (I’ll never stop hating it for this. Besides, even if I’m wrong about Wing being the first one of its ilk, it’s still a frustratingly bad show.)

10. loplop June 3, 2007 at 10:01 pm #

I’m I the only person around who hates Gundam? We need another Gundam as much as we need more Bleach or Naurto . . .

11. Sub June 4, 2007 at 8:31 am #

I’m a huge Gundam fan, but if the merchandising/animating/merchandising some more machine just suddenly happened to grind to a halt, I’d be perfectly happy with the original movie trilogy, Char’s Counterattack and mayyybe the Zeta TV series. They’re all already on my shelf, they’re classics, they’re fine as-is and they’re all the Gundam I really need. I saw SEED as just slavish imitation, so I didn’t bother. This, though, it’s got a good staff. It could have its own merits… or it could fall apart.
    And yeah, GW was the first Gundam to go the pretty-boy route. Supposedly Sunrise was doing the same thing with other properties around the same time, though.

12. DMC June 5, 2007 at 4:18 am #

Being an enormous Kouga Yun fan, I’ll be grabbing on to every piece of information about this new Gundam I can get.
    Unfortunately, as pretty much everyone before me has said, this looks like a bishounen harem-fest in the nastiest way. Chances are most of its fanbase (the female contingent) won’t even watch the show for anything other than the possibility of vaguely implied homosexuality (same as what happened with Gundam Wing – uggh), and even if the show does turn out to be enjoyable otherwise current trends in Gundam shows dictate that the hero will probably be the whiniest fucktard since Shinji Ikari. Sigh…

13. Alice Yang June 7, 2007 at 3:28 am #

Kouga Yun only design the characters. She’s NOT drawing out the plot. I don’t see why some of you guys are worry about the “harem of angsty bishounen.”

14. Shinashi June 7, 2007 at 7:44 am #

Am I the only one who wants this to be like Gundam Wing? I care less about the homosexual interaction, I just want to see less heterosexual interaction- ’cause I mostly want to see ACTION- Like Code Geass.. Lots of pretty boys.. angsty.. Different.. and girls.. But the major parts will be actually the plot of the show and lookin’ forward to what happens in the end. Like Naruto and Bleach :D

15. kiki June 8, 2007 at 4:10 am #

Clearly you have never read Loveless, as there are six or seven major characters that are women. There’s even a lesbians-in-bras-and-panties-touching-each-other scene.
    I don’t think any of the women have ever been on the cover, but neither have most of the major male characters.

16. Shingo June 8, 2007 at 5:13 am #

>>kiki
    Indeed, I haven’t read Loveless. Before making this post I checked the Wikipedia page, noted the presence of the female characters, did a Google search, came up dry, and concluded that overall Gestalt was a better portrayal of what Kouga would do given the need to design a broad palette of female protagonists. I’d love to see a feature on the heroines of Loveless, if such exists could you link me?

17. elanor June 14, 2007 at 4:50 pm #

The two girls from Loveless are called Kouya and Yamato.
    I think Kouga Yun has wonderful character designs. She’ll just have to hold back on the girly clothing when designing the characters for Gundam 00.
    If I had to have a complaint about her, I think it’s her grasp on age. Sometimes it’s difficult to tell the age of her characters.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks