Site News: new poll online – Moe is?

Previous poll:
When you want an item of otaku goods that isn’t readily available, what do you do?

• Take it case by case – invest in things you value most, pass up things you don’t, and obtain ‘trial versions’ of ones in the middle (55%) (143 Votes)
  • Pass it up – smart shopping can net you plenty of good stuff without overspending or being unethical (24%) (61 Votes)
  • Pursue a cheaper black market alternative – it’s the creator’s fault for not meeting market demand (11%) (28 Votes)
  • Support the creator at all costs – even if it costs an arm a a leg to import the original item (10%) (27 Votes)

Total Votes: 259
It seems that we’re a community of pragmatists who are otherwise evenly split between supporting the industry and punishing it for perceived wrongdoings. No big surprises here, though it was interesting to see the black market and creator support numbers running neck and neck through the entire voting period; I didn’t think the breakdown would be quite so clean.
In today’s final site-related note, it looks like the HD forums are back up and running. You can go check them out if you want to!

0 Responses to Site News: new poll online – Moe is?

1. DrmChsr0 May 28, 2007 at 10:50 pm #

No Moustache option?
    Shingo, I am mildly ashamed of you.

2. K May 28, 2007 at 11:02 pm #

I’d say it’s either affection or nurture, but it depends a lot on the moekko in question. If we’re talking about the lolis from Ichigo Mashimaro it’s definitely nurture with a touch of nostalgia and happiness, but with a little older moekko, like Nakahara Misaki or Ogiue Chika, it’s more like affection or passion.
    There isn’t really a single word that could fully describe moe and moe is something you can’t just explain to someone. I think moe is something everyone has to figure out by themselves.

3. Dio May 28, 2007 at 11:31 pm #

Aren’t there two different Moe’s in Japanese anyway? “Budding” and “Burning?” That just complicates matters. Anyway, I want to append my choice, “Passion,” with the word Burning, thus combining it to make Burning Passion (I’ll form the head). I’m meganekko moe, so when I see a great meganekko (in your review of Dengeki Moeoh! for example), I feel more passionate about the “fetish” and about the hobby in general.
    When I see the other choices, I really can’t argue against them since it’s so personal, I guess. Everyone approaches the hobby in different ways and I think moe is way too nebulous a concept to pin down. The quest for true moe is never in vain, however, as we all know!
    Moeru ze!

4. kransom May 29, 2007 at 12:03 am #

Where is the “My sin, my soul. Moe, light of my life, fire of my loins” option :(

5. DrmChsr0 May 29, 2007 at 2:57 am #

I still think it needs a moustache option.

6. Shingo May 29, 2007 at 6:01 am #

>>Dio
    This is referring to 萌え (sprouting, the one on the cover of magazines with cute 2D girls in them), not 燃え (burning, giant robot heroes, what you do to trash). I should have made that clear, sorry; will edit the post to suit.
    >>DrmChsr0
    I’m planning an in-depth discussion of the mustache question for another occasion. :3
    >>K
    Agreed, I think it’s highly subjective. This is just a little experiment to try to roughly gauge the spectrum of belief that’s out there.
    >>kransom
    I’m sorry. ;_; If I opened the options to multiple words I’d still be writing them now.

7. L.C May 29, 2007 at 5:03 pm #