Editor’s Desk: The (C)lass Room, In Memoriam

otakuroom

The only thing missing here is a picture of the room on the day I moved, as I took all of this crap with me. Every last bit. I’m still not quite sure how that happened.
I’ll post some shots of my current domicile once all of the boxes are unpacked and things are looking presentable, but I’m not allowed to put posters up here… it’s just not the same.
Note: The “CLASS ROOM” text was left over from when the house where I was living was used as an English conversation school – and no, I didn’t move the “C”. I looked at the door one day and there it was.
editor's desk logo
Shingo is currently juggling cats and mixing metaphors as the editor of HD, J-List’s new games goon, a sometime doujin artist, gamer and model painter. When not at work he is most commonly found at #naisho on irc.pyoko.org, and is currently soliciting poster hanging solutions that don’t involve thumb tacks or oily blobs of goo.

, ,

0 Responses to Editor’s Desk: The (C)lass Room, In Memoriam

1. kransom March 27, 2007 at 8:31 am #

SUDDENLY, POSTERS. HUNDREDS OF THEM.

2. Chichiwomoge March 27, 2007 at 8:49 am #

I bow down to your amazing room

3. Adun March 27, 2007 at 8:54 am #

I remember seeing your room and I was absolutely amazed by it. And you certainly beat my room hands down. Here’s my room if you haven’t seen it:

4. TheBigN March 27, 2007 at 9:41 am #

Wow. To be honest, I hope I’m never that hardcore.

5. Shiro March 27, 2007 at 9:48 am #

I think i’ll spend the next few hours counting the posters. :3

6. Demian March 27, 2007 at 10:06 am #

I can’t decide if that’s heaven or hell.

7. Dio March 27, 2007 at 10:06 am #

May I ask what you have placed mosaic on under your desk? I’m sure it’s “censored” for a reason though, so I’m not really expecting an answer ^_^

8. CMWilly March 27, 2007 at 10:31 am #

holy crap shingo!
    how did you fit your large gaijin ass in that room?
    as i remember you’re taller than me!

9. Seiya March 27, 2007 at 10:56 am #

Heroic. Truly.

10. N1netai1s March 27, 2007 at 11:23 am #

Amazing. Taking it all down must have been painful!
    No thumbtacks in the new place? It might be time to start framing…

11. Kurushimi March 27, 2007 at 11:34 am #

Glad to see the posting spree Shingo, and it was cool meeting you at Futaket! I actually wanted to talk to you about something regarding the conversation we had there, if you could email me it’d be great :D
    As for the posters, I would suggest a combination of suction cups and clips…

12. Nemo_N March 27, 2007 at 11:45 am #

My room doesn’t look so messy now :P.
    How did you decided which posters to take down to place new ones? Or do they stay there for good?

13. Shingo March 27, 2007 at 12:02 pm #

>>Adun
    The “crap all over the place” aesthetic of my room got rather old by the end, believe me. I like what you’re doing with yours better.
    >>TheBigN
    I know the feeling. Put a fellow in his consumer Mecca and these things happen involuntarily though, at least in my case.
    >>Demian
    It depends on whether or not you ever intend to have guests in your house, I think.
    >>Dio
    A mosaic makes any picture look more hardcore, don’t you think? …no, I’m not going to say why it’s there. orz
    >>CMWilly
    Very carefully. This is about as messy as it ever got, but when it was like this it was an effective inebriation limiter – a certain amount of sobriety must be maintained to avoid damage to self and property in that room.
    >>N1netai1s
    Taking it down and packing everything up was a multi-day task… I agree with your framing suggestion, it’s just a matter of finding a cost effective way to do it. I wonder if they have modular plastic clip frames or something like that available.
    >>Kurushimi
    It was great meeting you at Futaket as well! I’ll get a mail off to you ASAP.
    Suction cups, eh… now there’s an idea. I wonder how they’d work on the walls at my new place. Clips are a decent possibility in some places, as there are these bizarre metal tracks on the walls that hold clothing hooks… I’ll have to look into the options.
    >>Nemo_N
    A lot of the harder to reach ones (on the ceiling, etc.) stayed there pretty permanently once they were put up. Other more accessible ones were rotated a bit more frequently as I came across posters I liked better, though once the room reached saturation the look of the walls didn’t change very significantly afterwards.

14. Agent Wax March 27, 2007 at 5:46 pm #

You have no idea how much I want some of the things in your room, Shingo.

15. Fabien March 27, 2007 at 8:44 pm #

「俺に足りないのは覚悟だ」was my first thought.

16. KOF 2000 March 27, 2007 at 8:45 pm #

Haha, Shingo, I’ll come to your rescue and provide those pics of the “naked” room (albeit in a completely different sense :3) to you, if that’s what you’re indeed lamenting about not possessing. What also might provide some good laughs to the HD community might be a few pics of the current state of the room as dictated by my decor (or lack thereof…?). I shant say any more.

17. Renee March 28, 2007 at 11:01 am #

OMG I am so jealous of your room *sighs in lust*

18. The Geek March 28, 2007 at 2:53 pm #

Q: How can I tell if I have too many posters up in my room?
    A: When you have to start placing them on the ceiling.
    ;-)
    Wow, I mean just Wow. That is just hardcore.

19. GabbyJay March 28, 2007 at 5:38 pm #

Your room was one of the most memorable experiences when I visited Japan (with roobar and Adun), and your couch was pretty comfy too. Thanks again for letting us crash there.

20. AE March 28, 2007 at 5:43 pm #

That’s a lot of crap in your room. Amazing you still have room to walk. Japanese rooms are truly small. Space is a at a premium. You have some nice posters :)

21. Duouk2000 March 29, 2007 at 1:32 am #

I am in awe. You had a great room there, thanks for showing it to us :)

22. Basroil March 29, 2007 at 3:35 am #

Wow, just WOW! I agree with Agent Wax, “You have no idea how much I want some of the things in your room, Shingo.” Especially that Stellvia Yayoi figure of her putting on/taking off the stockings.

23. Shingo March 29, 2007 at 2:14 pm #

>>Agent Wax
    If only the import laws over yonder weren’t so draconian. ;_;
    >>Fabien
    conversely,「俺に足りないのは彼女だ」was my perennial thought upon entering that room. orz
    >>KOF 2000
    That would be much appreciated – I’m sure the place looks much better now than the way I left it.
    >>The Geek
    My answer:
    A:When you run out of room on the ceiling. :3
    >>GabbyJay
    It was great having you! I’m afraid that now that I’m even further off in the middle of nowhere no one will visit anymore… there’s more space now, though I do wish I could have brought that couch with me.
    >>AE
    The funny thing is that it wasn’t a very small room at all. I’ve only personally visited one authentic Japanese otaku room, but it was about a quarter the size of mine and still managed to cram the same amount of stuff in. The mind boggles.
    >>Duouk2000
    My pleasure. It helps a bit that I’m no longer occupying said room, so I can disavow it to a certain extent… it’s only a matter of time before the new place takes on a similar appearance though, I’m afraid. :/
    >>Basroil
    That figure was a hard-won bit of loot, let me tell you. One of those “sold out before the actual street date” types. I just wish my hobby shop contact hadn’t quit when he did.

24. kantan March 30, 2007 at 10:10 pm #

Omg, Epic room WANT. Quite possibly one of the most cluttered, but oh, so worth it rooms ive ever seen. I hope your new place is bigger.

25. Ayu July 18, 2007 at 3:09 am #

So,
    did you get your deposit back?