- I’ve found the winter anime season to be somewhat underwhelming thus far. I’m currently following Getsumen Toheiki Miina and Tokyo Majin Gakuen with the most ardor, with a little Manabi Straight on the side for the necessary dose of fructose; I managed to watch Mushishi (anticipating the Katsuhiro Otomo-directed movie coming up on March 24th) and the second season of Black Lagoon while internetless over the past couple of weeks (thanks to KoF2000 for the hookup) so I’m slowly catching up, though there’s plenty more I’m currently delinquent on. At this point I’ll probably wait until Code Geass is over to marathon it… if anyone has any other recommendations for current season anime, I’m all ears.
- Fortunately next season is looking to be another story altogether, with a veritable tidal wave of new show goodness. I don’t have the time this morning to delve into the Moon Phase listings, but plan to do so at a point in the very near future.
- In manga, February has been declared official Amazume Ryuuta month with the back-to-back releases of Nidaime wa Cosplayer vol. 1 and Toshiue no Hito vol. 5. The former is the story of a cosplay otaku who also happens to be the heiress of a yakuza syndicate, and the harried life of her handsome (and very un-otaku) bodyguard. Definitely worth the read; hopefully someone will get on with the scanslating.
- Also out in manga is the fourth volume of Sekirei, the continuation of the genre-bending harem fighting shoujo yaoi shounen breast-baring romantic comedy drama we all know and love (don’t ask how, it just works). Good timing on this as it corresponds roughly with the release of the first Sekirei PVC figure, Musubi-tan, due out later this month from Movic. Musubi kawaiiyo Musubi~~
- Since the December pre-Comiket game release glut the past month or so has been somewhat barren of interesting eroge items (luckily for my very ragged wallet); with the exception of Liquid’s Ryoujoku Gerira Kari 3 (AKA Gundam SEED: the sexfest) and Hadashi Shoujo’s Harem Scratch (AKA Asahi of Fullmetal Madness does Oshioki Sweetie) I don’t think we’ve missed much, at least on the porny side of things.
There are several titles coming up this month that I have my eye on, though, including:
- 02/09 – Shirudaku Settai, a very wet and messy offering from Waffle
- 02/23 – Hime Kishi Angelica, a return from beyond the grave to take revenge on your unfaithful elven lover, from Silkys
- 02/23 – Narimono is finally coming out, though I’m thinking it might not be worth the wait
- 02/23 – Resort Boin, the Happo Bijin-designed tribute to the female torso, voted month’s most likely to sell out on release
More eroge coverage to come in ensuing updates.
- It’s been a struggle to stay current in hobby affairs, though opening a Japanese bank account does wonders – a Yahoo auction just netted me a copy of Ekidona at a very modest markup, and Hobby Stock obliged for ebCraft’s Koyori and Solid Theater’s Maid no Onna no Ko. I’d love to get reviews of these up, though my review space is currently in a bit of a shambles… at the least I’ll try to get some shots of my new pad online in the next couple of days.
- In upcoming figure news, I can’t be the only one who thinks this is incredibly hot… This powered-up version of Masane from Witchblade is due out from Kotobukiya in May.
- Releases I’m looking forward to this month (February 2007) include the first round of Max Factory’s Haruhi (mostly for the feeding frenzy sure to ensue), the above-mentioned Musubi, Kotobukiya’s in-house limited edition Masane, and BOME / Organic / Kaiyodo’s Yamamoto Isoroku (voted sleeper hit of the month due to her recent appearance in Sengoku Rance).
- I would be remiss here in not mentioning Winter Wonder Festival 2007, the biannual garage kit and figure convention occuring on February 25th. I, alas, will not be in attendance this time around (read on for why), though Shipon may have the chance to make it there to provide some coverage for HD. In compensation for missing out on the upcoming iteration of Wonder Festival I’ll probably try to make it to the next World Hobby Festival Ariake, on May 5th. A fellow can only deny his lust for fresh kits for so long, after all…
The reason I’m foregoing Wonder Festival this time around is that I’ll be participating as a circle in Futaket vs. ABC (AKA “Hentai Matsuri”) on the very same day. It was uncertain that there would be a Futaket in 2007 until late December of last year, when the organizing committee behind ABC stepped in, rented the hall, took over management and generally pulled things together at the last minute. I’ll be trying to document my participation rather more thoroughly than at the last event I sold at… it was tough to choose between the two conflicting events on the 25th, but I think this was the right move. More on this as it develops.
In other news, I now seem to be employed by a little company in Isesaki that wants to sell you stuff. By proxy I also want to sell you stuff, though I’m in it mostly on the game end of things – rest assured you’ll be hearing more about what’s up in that regard here in the coming days and weeks. That said, HD is not and will never be a vehicle for advertisement. If J-List happens to offer something for sale that I happen to be talking about in an update I’ll link up, of course, but HD isn’t going to become wacky t-shirt Domo-kun land any time soon.
Anyway, I’m looking forward to getting back into things here at HD! I’m not yet dead, and the site isn’t either, though there’s a bit of a stale smell that needs airing out…