Um.

Rumors of my death have once again been greatly exaggerated, and posting will start again tomorrow. Pending certain developments in the next few days I should be getting plenty of initiative to get things back on course.
The past weeks have provided a brutally effective combination of posting disincentives:

• The lingering burden of prizes yet to ship makes me want to ignore the blog
  • A couple of friends from the States now live and work near me, so the need for HD as an instrument of social connectivity has abated
  • Pending certain developments, HD may have fulfilled its role as a resume item that will enable me to escape the uncertainty of life as an English teacher in Japan
  • My current lack of funds to spend on goods lowers the incentive to cover them – more of an excercise in self-inflicted torture than anything
  • The notion that people don’t care about where they get the news as long as it’s available somewhere reduces the individual incentive to provide it
  • The enormous backlog of things I want to cover (reviews, features, news, etc. etc.) is so daunting that it’s much easier to ignore it than to try to catch up

…that about covers it, I guess.
HOWEVER, should the twice aforementioned certain developments come to pass (will know this by Sunday night), several of the more oppressive conditions mentioned above will be spirited away – and replaced by a new world of glorious posting incentives that just might be enough to get me off of my bum and start typing again.
I apologize for all of the generalities here, but on the off chance that things don’t pan out I want to have my bases covered. Either way, more posting (that doesn’t involve explanations as to why I haven’t been posting recently) is on the horizon. Just putting the word out.
So, how about that Max Factory Ignis?

0 Responses to Um.

1. Jankars October 27, 2006 at 4:05 pm #

HD has helped to you to further your quest to become a creator? If so, it must be exciting times for you. :D
    Anyway, I think the latest buzz on the street is the upcoming release of Max Factory’s 1/8 figure of Oharuhi-sama. Due Feb 07.
    The scary thing is Hobby Stock has already stopped taking preorders… the same day Max Factory released coloured photos of the figure, if I remember correctly… LOL…
    Pics here: http://www.hobbystock.jp/i.php?_t=index_item.html&ITEM_ID=HBY-GCF-00000676
    Oh yea, how about some coverage on Saimoe 06? Would love to read up on your analysis on this event. ;)

2. Shingo October 27, 2006 at 5:23 pm #

>>Jankars
    Not a creator, exactly. I’d have to actually have some skills (bowhunting, computer hacking, etc.) for that… needless to say it’s something closer to “a job in the biz” than teaching English at a rural junior high.
    I wasn’t implying that Ignis was the latest buzz (I’m not quite that out of the loop), but that she’s now on sale… I did not know about the Max Haruhi, which is good news. Or bad news, as I certainly didn’t get a preorder. This may call for some strategic camping in front of Toranoana on release day.
    I regret to say that I do not follow Saimoe and don’t even know what it is, beyond a ranking of moe characters. Is it an event now? With an actual physical location? Inquiring minds want to know.

3. tj han October 27, 2006 at 5:52 pm #

Considering your site has been mentioned and is well known even in the industry, at least I hear for some in the US ones, I’m sure it’ll be useful if you apply for jobs in the anime industry right?

4. Shingo October 27, 2006 at 6:12 pm #

>>tj han
    I’d be quite happy if that were a possibility, and I suppose it might be. At this point though, one of my highest priorities is finding a position that lets me stay here in Japan – now that the anime/manga/figure/game crack is being mainlined into my veins it’s hard to think of stepping away for very long.
    That said, I’ll want to go back to the States eventually, I suppose. Probably.
    …maybe.

5. Jankars October 27, 2006 at 6:57 pm #

Nah I don’t think there’s an offline event for Saimoe. But it’s still quite a big thing in 2ch, judging from the thousands of votes casted for characters each day.

6. Steve October 27, 2006 at 9:49 pm #

“The notion that people don’t care about where they get the news as long as it’s available somewhere reduces the individual incentive to provide it”
    People have different ways of giving out that news and I’m sure a lot of us would rather check here than some unfamiliar blogs which could get the facts mixed up or just lay them out in a boring to read way. Oh yeah, you gunna be doing your Megami vol. 78 review anytime soon?

7. Randall Fitzgerald October 28, 2006 at 12:37 am #

“The enormous backlog of things I want to cover (reviews, features, news, etc. etc.) is so daunting that it’s much easier to ignore it than to try to catch up”
    Every fucking time I miss a day at ikimashou, I feel the same way. I swear to Jesus it’s just too killer. That’s another of the reasons I swapped over to HobbyStock for grabbing news on figures. HobbyNet is just TOO thorough. Haha. Especially with my format. Nicer pictures > more figure news I’d say.
    Hope things pan out with whatever those developments are. I need to go in the channel at night so I can find some shit out. Haha.

8. wildarmsheero October 28, 2006 at 12:39 am #

As far as the HD goes, it’s my primary source for things aren’t covered by the usual places (ANN and the like.) That I pretty much hate all other blogs, save a few. HD just blows them away. So yeah, start updating, youuu! >:O

9. Zer0 October 28, 2006 at 1:47 am #

Hey Shingo
    great stuff you here. I discovered HD recently and have been visiting your site almost every other day since. This is as close as I can get to the nerve centre of the Denpa Otokos’ Holy Land – Akihabara – in the english medium.
    I know it’s a bitch keeping the site going, but i hope you don’t stop. :)
    – Zer0, an Otaku from Singapore

10. Port October 28, 2006 at 7:37 am #

Yumi-chan, you brain is melting.

11. Duouk2000 October 28, 2006 at 9:14 am #

I really enjoy reading your blog to be honest, be a shame to see it end.

12. Waterfall October 28, 2006 at 9:27 am #

To Shingo,
    Re: Certain Developments
    Good luck on your career development plan. (At least, that’s what I think it is.)
    From
    Waterfall

13. Unlimited Blade Works October 28, 2006 at 10:30 am #

Hope ya keep on updating! Although I don’t post or respond much, you can bet I read all the great news here. I’ll be looking forward to your next update!

14. Shingo October 29, 2006 at 8:18 am #

>>Steve
    I didn’t pick up Megami last month as I was strapped for cash and a quick browse-through was somewhat “meh”… I’ll be picking up the slack this month, though.
    >>Randall Fitzgerald
    Updating is a monster task, nay Herculean in scope. It takes true insanity to maintain a daily regimen for any length of time, as I’m sure you know… here goes nothing. Again.
    >>wildarmsheero
    Thanks. Ganbaru kara~~
    >>Zer0
    I’ll do my best. Hope you keep stopping by, especially if I can get the updates flowing regularly again…
    >>Port
    YURI IN CAR
    >>Waterfall
    Thanks. Here’s hoping things go smoothly.
    >>Unlimited Blade Works
    *thumbs up* I shall strive for nothing short of perfection.