News Flash: Genshiken Anime Continues

Via Karoshi and the Light Otaku Diary:
Kujibiki Unbalance will be airing starting this October, and today’s (September 25th) edition of Afternoon magazine saw the publication of the first chapter of the accompanying Kujian manga.
Today’s scoop, revealed in the pages of Afternoon, is that Genshiken will in fact continue in animated form – but as a special add on to the Kujian DVD box releases, not as a TV series in itself. The Light Otaku Diary describes the release as mirroring that of the Kujian OVA when it originally came bundled with the R2 release of Genshiken two years ago, right down to the (very steep) price tag of 14,490 yen per box (a box containing four episodes of Kujian and one of Genshiken, for a total of three new Genshiken episodes and 12 episodes of Kujian over three boxes).
No word yet on a release date for the first DVD box, but I’ll be picking up Afternoon on the way home today and revise this post should additional details be forthcoming.
At this point, all I can say is: and here I thought I was through spending on overpriced Genshiken anime…

, ,

0 Responses to News Flash: Genshiken Anime Continues

1. wildarmsheero September 25, 2006 at 3:08 pm #

So THAT’s how they’re going to make people buy Kujian. Shame, only 3 episodes. I guess it’s something but… bleh.

2. Shingo September 25, 2006 at 3:18 pm #

I’m still holding out hopes for the Kujian anime, if only for the sake of having some justification for paying USD ~120 for a single episode of Genshiken, should it come to that… If Kujian sucks these DVD boxes will be a bitter pill to swallow.

3. Fat Cat Lim September 25, 2006 at 9:29 pm #

So a series of OVA episodes become a full-fledged series while a full-fledged series become an episodic OVA series. Weirdness.
    Oh well, more Genshiken is always good. Here’s hoping for a full second season.

4. Fabien September 25, 2006 at 10:09 pm #

I recieved Afternoon#11 this morning (yeay for EMS super speed service) and there is indeed the annoncement about Genshiken OVA but also some character design for Ogiue who seems super scary. But the major news for Figure lovers is the new Ohno figure crafted by Kaiyodo with bath towel and bouncing boobs. Finally, Kujian manga is not as bad as I thought it would be.

5. SDS September 25, 2006 at 10:26 pm #

I’m in moneyless heaven.

6. Chuck September 26, 2006 at 12:09 am #

At least it’s something. oh god, it would be great if another Genshiken feature was the group doing the Kujian commentary. Any news on what the OVA is about?

7. ritm September 26, 2006 at 12:17 am #

They seem to have an unfortunately good idea of the demographic most likely to buy the DVDs anyway… *sigh*

8. momo September 27, 2006 at 1:29 am #

wow, so now its genshiken’s turn to be the underdog to kujian.
    that sucks.

9. Garry September 27, 2006 at 11:34 am #

I agree with heero: this is how they’re guaranteeing Kujian sales. The OVA specials in Genshiken were unpleasant at best. I can’t believe it has a following…
    Fucking otaku.

10. Sydney2K September 27, 2006 at 12:20 pm #

Wait- how popular is Kujian out with the otaku? If indeed Kujian is what the Japanese fans want then why the heck should they pander to that need? Oh, the irony, a fan following for a manga/anime that actually doesn’t exist, so they create one to meet that demand. That in turn spawns real-life Genshikens?

11. unangbangkay September 30, 2006 at 5:52 pm #

I hope these Genshiken episodes will have better production, at least…not that it mattered THAT much to making it interesting, but seriously, the series looked terrible.
    On the other hand, Kuji-Un had BETTER look good.

12. Viga October 7, 2006 at 7:39 am #

I agree. I really dont like kujiun all that much. I rather have them make two series. one genshiken one kujiun.
    Besides wont some otaku load the ova on you tube anyway. I dont really like watching anime that way but if it means free genshiken then okay.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Monday Otakuisms » Otakuism - September 26, 2006

[…] – Shingo reports to me that Genshiken is indeed getting, if not a second season, then more episodes created to be sold as extra’s on the Kuji-Un DVD’s. Someone in Japan must be laughin right now ” Yes let’s make an anime that know no one really wants and give them what they do want as extra’s on overpriced DVD’s “. Sad thing is Otaku will eat this up anyways. Still it will be interesting to see how far they get with just three episodes to make. […]