English Aniblogs Hit the Japanese Blog Scene

Checking yesterday’s stats I noticed an above average access count from Livedoor‘s RSS aggregator service, and scrolling down a bit revealed what may have been the source: a post dated September 6th from a blog entitled REVの日記 (“REV’s Diary”).
In it, the author profiles Bluemist’s Anime Blog (noting that with phrasing such as that in his “about” description, he must be an otaku) and Akiba-Bound Soul (noting that in addition to the patently self-revelatory introduction he also reviews doujin soft).
HD also gets mention in passing as “a news aggregator or something”… which is more or less correct, though a sprucing up of the old about page and an introduction on the (just installed) Japanese side blog is definitely in order.
I for one, welcome our new Japanese overlords friends, and hope they’ll stick around despite the language barrier.
日本人の客は大歓迎です!
詰まらないサイトですが、どうかよろしくお願いします。
これから日本語で色々貼るつもりですが
前に何回もその約束破ったことあるから
あまり期待しないで下さい。(汗)

0 Responses to English Aniblogs Hit the Japanese Blog Scene

1. Jeff Lawson September 8, 2006 at 2:38 pm #

I have a recent post that’s been getting a lot of referrals from 2ch, but it’s in a section that’s only accessible using Monazilla or the like, so I can’t see what nasty (or wonderful) things they’re saying about me.
    Back when I was still running Nowhere, I’d get a ridiculous amount of referrals from Japanese translation services… someone over there was reading what I wrote.

2. Hung September 8, 2006 at 2:43 pm #

I found an incoming link a while back coming from a Japanese blog.
    The author was commenting on the post about how I was trying to watch anime raw. Check out my Japanenrish reply in the comments, too.

3. Shingo September 8, 2006 at 3:21 pm #

>>Jeff Lawson
    I’m in the same situation with the steady stream of access via translation services; it’s a bit frustrating sometimes, as they effectively cloak the original source of the linkthrough. Ah well.
    This may be more of a sign of the gradual maturation of the Japanese blogosphere than a broader trend in access patterns.
    By the way, if you’d like me to look something up on 2ch for you drop me a mail or something, one of the few services I can provide behind the great Japanese firewall.
    >>Hung
    Haha, nice. I have a feeling we’d be getting more notice in the Japanese ‘sphere if it were more coherent as such, I have a feeling that J-blogs don’t tend to interlink nearly as much as we do and thus don’t present the same illusion of community. I haven’t clicked through their link sections much at all though so who knows…

4. Sydney2K September 8, 2006 at 5:23 pm #

So, what are Japanese aniblogs like? Are they like the standard blogs and MySpace sites we have in the West or are they more curious?

5. tj han September 9, 2006 at 1:18 am #

I do get tonnes of Japanese hits but they are for lyrics for Red Fraction which I posted on my site lol. Along with a review laughing at their bad English. Some of these Japanese dudes were slightly miffed to say the least.

6. jpmeyer September 9, 2006 at 1:22 am #

When I looked at my Google Analytics stats, Japan is actually the #2 country (and Tokyo the #2 city) when it comes to where my visitors come from. About 8-10% of my visitors are from Japan.

7. pKjd September 9, 2006 at 1:45 am #

Hmm… and here I thought referrals from Japanese sites were a common thing. I mean I’ve seen incoming links from French, German, Korean, Japanese, Spanish, etc blogs on my site since being up for over a year now — so I didn’t think it was anything incredible. But on the other hand… if you’re referred by 2ch, that might actually be considered something special. I’ve had that happen to me twice. Once was for mentioning the pop group, Bon-Bon Blanco; the other was for an entry I wrote about Halko Momoi. It brought in a lot of hits I can tell you that :D

8. pKjd September 9, 2006 at 1:48 am #

Oh I just remembered, there was another time when I wrote about the techno-pop group Perfume. Funny, it’s only when I post about Japanese music artists…

9. Tsubaki September 9, 2006 at 2:10 am #

I had one that linked my comiket game reviews and was talking about how on earth did foreigners managed to get those games.

10. omo September 9, 2006 at 3:41 am #

I’m curious as to how HD (and my) blog looks through the lens of a translation site. Probably outright incomprehensible in my case.

11. wildarmsheero September 9, 2006 at 8:20 am #

I get a few hits from translators each month. Too bad my comic can’t really be translated like that.
    I’ve also had a picture I took of a cosplayer at Otakon 2004 be posted in a 2ch thread.

12. DMC September 9, 2006 at 3:58 pm #

>>tj han
    Funny, I was just reading that today. Still love the song, but my dear lord those lyrics are bad.

13. Deathy September 10, 2006 at 6:51 am #

Owww…Red Fraction is an awsome song…the lyrics are the best part.
    The only hits I get from Japan is when I ask for a few friends to go there and comment random stuff.

14. Randall Fitzgerald September 10, 2006 at 12:03 pm #

I’m jealous that they didn’t like me as a news aggregator or something.
    Yeah, I need to learn Japanese so I can start up the JP side of my blog so I can be just like Shingo. Haha.
    I get a decent number of JP hits from search engines. Not a whole lot. I assume English speakers generally, since I rarely put any Japanese characters on the site (being as it’s not for them so much anyway) so it doesn’t ping their searches and shit anyway.

15. Hinano September 11, 2006 at 8:44 am #

I saw an RSS feed that had like a bunch of our blogs on it (including my own) so I found that funny…but the day I began my blog I made “nihongo” page and gave a link to an online translator saying “please use this” lol. I guess it works cause Japan is like my 6th top visiting country o_o

16. bluemist September 12, 2006 at 6:26 pm #

So I’m an otaku now?
    Some months ago, one Japanese blog linked to my summaries of the ToHeart2 eroge. At that instant, comes some Slashdot/Digg effect of thousands of hits and tons of other Japanese blogs crosslinking to me.
    It was quite interesting to see because it’s like a ripple effect of getting linked from one Japanese blog to another. What a tight otaku community it seems.

17. Karura September 13, 2006 at 1:17 am #

I’ve had a slow but steady of hits from Japanese search engines and the like, mainly for Tsubasa, .hack//Roots, Meine Liebe and Utaware. Rather bizarrely, though, I’ve also had people use Google to translate my blog from English into English.

18. zoku88 September 21, 2006 at 2:42 am #

I’ve kind of had the same kind of thing going on to. This Japanese blog Mug-G’s put my site on its blogroll after I linked it for a resource of Japanese images. I also get a few hits from Japanese search engines (excite.co.jp most of the time.)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Yokouso…Nippon? « ShinjiArimasuka? - September 17, 2006

[…] Seems my blog just got a traffic spike thanks to some curious Japanese people. I just checked my blogstats and apparently yesterday (September 15th) this post on anticipating the Kanon remake got 123 hits all on its own. That’s some pretty major news for a blog that averages 20-30 hits per day. Seems some many of these new visitors are coming from the little island chain in eastern asia as well…which seems too much of a coincidence, given what I’ve read on Japanese people reading up the English blogosphere on Heisei Democracy. Is my blog worthy now that people halfway around the world would wish to follow it? Have the Japanese taken that much of an interest that they’re scouting for the smallest blogs, including this one? Or is this a one-hit trick pulled off by the beautiful phenomenon that is Kanon? Heh, well I think we all know the answer to that one…once again, Nayuki = happiness. […]