Genshiken: The Saga Continues

Those who thought Genshiken was over (myself included), think again – it turns out that volume 8 of the manga contains two entirely new chapters that weren’t in the original serialized release. They occur after the Sasa-Ogi climax in chapter 47 but before Sue and Angela arrive for Comifes in chapter 48, thus becoming the new chapters 48 and 49 respectively.
Without going into spoileristic detail I’ll note that 48 deals with Sasahara and Ogiue’s first proper date, in which they go to the zoo and there are several riffs on the “tsundere” theme. 49 is the story of the following fall’s school festival and Ogiue’s encounter with a trio of girls from the manga club. Great fodder for the Sasa-Ogi fans, very little Ohno (or anyone else), but that’s perhaps to be expected.
The best news coming out of this continuation of the manga is that there will be one final volume (volume 9) coming out on December 22nd. The series will be going out in style, with the tankoubon’s limited edition scheduled to include both a doujinshi supplement similar to the one that came with volume 6 (featuring a segment from Hanaharu, among others), and a “special drama CD” that will feature new scenarios crafted by the writing team behind the Genshiken anime. The vocal cast for the CD will be the same as in the anime, with the important addition of Ogiue, voiced here for the first time.
You can bet Del Rey’s edition of volume 9 won’t include the CD (or the full-size B5 doujinshi supplement), so if you want in on the limited edition your best bet is to preorder it from Amazon now. The cutoff date for preorders is October 31st, but better be safe than sorry…
One last note of wild speculation: volume 9’s December 22nd release date gives it perfect placement to launch a marketing campaign for a second season of Genshiken anime to air in the spring of ’07. Start the hype with announcements on the dust jacket and online, get the vocal cast back in people’s heads with the drama CD, show a trailer at Comiket on the 29th, and build from there… It’ll be right when Kujian is ending (or half way through, depending on how many episodes it runs), either of which would provide great promotional tie-in opportunities. I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but it’s the last reasonable chance we’re going to get. Here’s hoping.
[edit] for increased speculation: volume 8 of the manga contains six chapters (44-49). Currently there are three unpublished chapters of serialized material (original chapters 48-50). Therefore, if volume 9 is to be a full-size tankoubon it will need at least two, possibly three additional chapters of brand new material. It’s shaping up to be an awesome release indeed. :3

, , ,

0 Responses to Genshiken: The Saga Continues

1. pKjd August 30, 2006 at 6:13 am #

The new Kujian TV series is slated for 12 episodes and begins on October 6th. It was announced on Moon Phase Diary sometime last week. So it should end on the 29th of December. Here’s to also hoping for a second season!

2. SDS August 30, 2006 at 7:12 am #

HEEHIHIHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
    HAHAHAAHHEEEHHEEHEHAHAIIIHIIII.
    HEEHAWHAHAHAHI.
    Ogiue Banzai.

3. *shrug* August 30, 2006 at 10:06 am #

Wait, 51? I thought only 50 chapters were serialized. What’s 51?

4. Sydney2K August 30, 2006 at 12:28 pm #

I’m actually more an Angela fan *grin*. I’d look at a Ohno figurine in the shop window, but I’d cross the street for a Angela figure ^_~

5. Shingo August 30, 2006 at 2:35 pm #

>>pKjd
    That’s perfect timing, almost too good to pass up on the marketing potential. Keeping fingers crossed.
    >>*shrug*
    You are indeed correct. I’m not sure where that extra chapter came from… wishful thinking, I guess. Edit edit…

6. Fabien August 30, 2006 at 7:04 pm #

In other Kio Shimoku news, the latest Afternoon (october) reports that a Kujibiki Unbalance game is in the work for the PS2. It’s a mix of simulation and action (beat’em all) game where you can form parties of 3 character to beat the crap out of… err… bad guys ? There is also a “Tsundere system” that determine the type of ending you are getting. If anyone is interested, I can fire up my scan.

7. Garry August 31, 2006 at 12:44 am #

While any mention of the Kujian anime just makes my brain bleed, the prospect of new Genshiken… I marvel at the mouth-breathers who decided that Kujian would make a better release than new Genshiken TV. Hopefully your theory comes to pass, or this’ll just be another sign of Japanese moral and societal degeneracy.
    In a just world, big G would have run longer than Golgo 13. It would headline its own comic magazine and Kio Shimoku would pass the torch onto a new generation of artists on his deathbed.
    As it is, I’m reduced to walking through the Kanto desert, screaming “Ohno!” at the heavens while the floating apparition of Haruhi rains derisive laughter down on me.

8. Hanachan September 20, 2006 at 9:21 am #

*fangirl squeal*
    I’m a huge Genshiken fan aka scarily obsessed :P I can’t wait! I wonder who will play Ogiue. They should cast Renko’s seiyuu, because Ogi cosplays Renko, simlar to Ayako Kawasumi, Ohno’s seiyuu, also playing Kasumi in Kujian, which is a character Ohno cosplays. But we will have to see…
    Odly, the cutoff for the preorder is the same day as two other important things in the otaku world! A. Halloween aka National Cosplay Day and B. The English language release of Genshiken volume 7 :)