Newtype = lies. Edit: HD = lies.

While the cover of September’s Newtype hypes its inner content with the phrase “Haruhi isn’t over yet?!” It goes on to say nothing about any future work in production, instead merely pimping the “all new” content of the internal article (an interview with the producer and director of the series and pictures of location comparisons(?)).
This is further corroborated by pages from the inner article (here and here, thanks to flou’s post in comments for the heads up and to SOS-dan for the files), which say nothing about any new work in production (unless it’s in the interview somewhere, but that doesn’t seem likely).
Apologies for the mishyping; given the way the magazine’s cover presents the issue I jumped to entirely unfounded conclusions. Fie on you Newtype! Fie, I say! To clarify, the current status of Haruhi season two is, as I understand it, unchanged: that is to say, it may happen. This issue of Newtype indicates nothing to confirm or deny its possible production.
From the internal article:
DAMNED LIES
“In response to your burning calls of “encore!”, Haruhi has returned! The TV series may be over, but we’re still psyched, so [illegible], come along with us! Suzumiya Haruhi and the SOS-dan are immortal forever!”
…in short, this was not a story. Probably. As far as I can tell at this point.
orz
A fine way to usher in the new era of HD news coverage…

, ,

0 Responses to Newtype = lies. Edit: HD = lies.

1. pKjd August 8, 2006 at 2:45 pm #

No biggie. But it sure was fun seeing how excited and pumped up everyone got throughout the day. It was just insane to be honest :D

2. Shingo August 8, 2006 at 3:01 pm #

>>pKjd
    I know the standard for “anime journalism” isn’t that high, but I’d really like to try avoiding too many ANNish hype-based scoopgasms that have to then be retracted… we try to have some pretension of competency around here, at least.
    Meh. I’m definitely guilty of getting excited about the prospect too, so I suppose it can’t be helped.

3. adam2040 August 8, 2006 at 4:41 pm #

notice though, there is no denial of any films!
    Let the hype and speculation continue!

4. kacpy August 8, 2006 at 6:46 pm #

I hope that means there’s nothing planned indeed. Am I not original? Another wave of haruhiism would be too much for one to handle.

5. loplop August 8, 2006 at 10:22 pm #

Damn, I got all excited about nothing . . . Oh Well, it will probably come at sometime anyway . . .

6. Garry August 9, 2006 at 6:14 am #

Don’t be too hard on yourself. Back when I was a headline writer for ANN stuff like this would happen from time to time.
    Newtype is a real bitch kitty when it comes to “news” like this. I remember the “Here We Are” cover they did for BeBop back in the day, and the frothing I did at the mouth until I realized it was just a filler nostalgia article.

7. Fonzie August 9, 2006 at 9:46 am #

Damn that’s disappointing. But hey, considering the popularity of the series and the amount of material from the novels not yet covered, a sequel is inevitable…right?

8. Richard "Pocky" Kim August 9, 2006 at 10:21 am #

The second illegible kanji is ‘fumetsu’ (不滅). Can’t read the first one at all.

9. Shingo August 9, 2006 at 10:25 am #

>>Richard “Pocky” Kim
    Aha, thanks for the decryption! I caught the “fu”, but not the “metsu”… editing post to suit.

10. winsonkoh September 13, 2006 at 9:14 pm #

who’s gonna buy newtype now? lol maybe they lose even more customers who are haruhi fans. :X

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Anime Nano Podcast #4: Ultra Ray Romano! at Anime Nano Podcast - August 8, 2006

[…] Kurogane’s post about Suzumiya Haruhi season 2! And Heisei Democracy’s anti season 2 post. orz. […]