Without further ado, a bullet-pointed introduction of the various new site features that we’ve been cooking up over the past few weeks:
- The Features: this is where all of the best, most thoroughly-produced original HD content will wind up, proudly displayed in the upper right corner of the site. The currently running Negative Campaign is less of a feature than a shamless site promotion, but it will quickly be replaced with meatier fare – ’tis the con season, after all.
- The Creator Spotlight: At HD we’ve always been interested in what makes the people tick who make the stuff that makes us tick (think about it…), and now there’s a place to find out: the Creator Spotlight will be introducing artists and their creations of all stripes over the coming months, paired with interviews investigating their creative process and inspirations. Create something you want to share? This could be you – check the current article for details.
- The Columns: Finally providing justification for use of the plural “we” in referring to the HD staff, the columns are where you’ll be seeing the scintillating minds of international otakudom gather to spout wisdom and pithy punditry on topics so awesome we
don’t even know exactlycan’t tell you what they are yet, aside from one: Seiya kicks things off with a look at the international canned coffee conspiracy in his first installment of Tokyo Teleport Station, a column I would venture to say is greatest in the world.
- The HD Forums: They may look exactly the same as the old forums, but this new, fresh install is thousands of times better. It’s so good that once you register you will forget having participated in any other online community before, and will send urgent pleas to friends and family to join and make the boards even cooler, if that were possible. And it is. Oh, it is… so sign up, eh?
- The 2DDB: Why another wiki, you ask, eyes rolling in impatience and scorn. Nay, hold your ire, friend! This wiki is is full of magic and mystery… Ok, so it’s full of precisely nothing right now, but with the help of a few good men and women we’re planning to build it into your one-stop resource for information on esoteric 2Disms – doujinshi, visual novels, figures, cutting-edge memes and cultural fragments. Sign up, log in and assimilate your knowledge into the collective!
…and that’s a wrap of the major features currently online. All of the links presently leading to 404s will be fleshed out over the coming weeks, so if you’re curious, by all means stick around.
The bulk of site content will remain similar to that of HD’s prior iterations – daily news, frequent reviews, and the occasional bigoted rant in this space – with a renewed commitment to timeliness, accuracy, expertise, and entertainment. The evolution from a blog to a PARAGON OF YELLOW JOURNALISM AND SOPHISTRY has begun, and there’s nothing stopping us now! Bwa hahaha!!
Anyway, enjoy the new site. It’s been a long time in coming, but we hope you find it worth the wait; we’re still taking comments, criticism, and sweet, sweet candy, so drop a note either here or on the forums and let’s interface. We’ll be looking for additional staff in the near future as well – watch this space for an official announcement to that effect.
From the editor’s desk, this is Shingo signing out.