Editor’s Desk: We’ve Arrived (and to prove it we’re here)

Without further ado, a bullet-pointed introduction of the various new site features that we’ve been cooking up over the past few weeks:

• The Features: this is where all of the best, most thoroughly-produced original HD content will wind up, proudly displayed in the upper right corner of the site. The currently running Negative Campaign is less of a feature than a shamless site promotion, but it will quickly be replaced with meatier fare – ’tis the con season, after all.
  • The Creator Spotlight: At HD we’ve always been interested in what makes the people tick who make the stuff that makes us tick (think about it…), and now there’s a place to find out: the Creator Spotlight will be introducing artists and their creations of all stripes over the coming months, paired with interviews investigating their creative process and inspirations. Create something you want to share? This could be you – check the current article for details.
  • The Columns: Finally providing justification for use of the plural “we” in referring to the HD staff, the columns are where you’ll be seeing the scintillating minds of international otakudom gather to spout wisdom and pithy punditry on topics so awesome we don’t even know exactly can’t tell you what they are yet, aside from one: Seiya kicks things off with a look at the international canned coffee conspiracy in his first installment of Tokyo Teleport Station, a column I would venture to say is greatest in the world.
  • The HD Forums: They may look exactly the same as the old forums, but this new, fresh install is thousands of times better. It’s so good that once you register you will forget having participated in any other online community before, and will send urgent pleas to friends and family to join and make the boards even cooler, if that were possible. And it is. Oh, it is… so sign up, eh?
  • The 2DDB: Why another wiki, you ask, eyes rolling in impatience and scorn. Nay, hold your ire, friend! This wiki is is full of magic and mystery… Ok, so it’s full of precisely nothing right now, but with the help of a few good men and women we’re planning to build it into your one-stop resource for information on esoteric 2Disms – doujinshi, visual novels, figures, cutting-edge memes and cultural fragments. Sign up, log in and assimilate your knowledge into the collective!

…and that’s a wrap of the major features currently online. All of the links presently leading to 404s will be fleshed out over the coming weeks, so if you’re curious, by all means stick around.
The bulk of site content will remain similar to that of HD’s prior iterations – daily news, frequent reviews, and the occasional bigoted rant in this space – with a renewed commitment to timeliness, accuracy, expertise, and entertainment. The evolution from a blog to a PARAGON OF YELLOW JOURNALISM AND SOPHISTRY has begun, and there’s nothing stopping us now! Bwa hahaha!!
…ahem.
Anyway, enjoy the new site. It’s been a long time in coming, but we hope you find it worth the wait; we’re still taking comments, criticism, and sweet, sweet candy, so drop a note either here or on the forums and let’s interface. We’ll be looking for additional staff in the near future as well – watch this space for an official announcement to that effect.
From the editor’s desk, this is Shingo signing out.
editor's desk logo

, ,

0 Responses to Editor’s Desk: We’ve Arrived (and to prove it we’re here)

1. Sydney2K August 7, 2006 at 12:20 pm #

Woo! I’m first to make a comment in the New Heisei Democracy! That’s all I wanted to say. ?:-)

2. Shingo August 7, 2006 at 1:22 pm #

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you back around post-move. I hope the migration doesn’t prove too much of a headache for people…

3. moyism August 7, 2006 at 1:46 pm #

Liking the new-ish layout Shingo! Can’t wait to see what other new features you’ll be offering for HD :D

4. Randall Fitzgerald August 7, 2006 at 2:17 pm #

A super huge congratulations on the new launch, Shingo! I look forward to reading Seiya’s stuff. Let’s see if he can take on my SilverSix! BWAHAHAH!
    I dig the new layout, and I intend on flaming you in the comments if you don’t keep up your promises. Especially about convention coverage. I expect perfection in this brave new era!

5. Shingo August 7, 2006 at 3:51 pm #

>>moyism
    Thanks a lot! Here’s hoping we don’t disappoint, at least not too quickly… plenty of time left this summer and I intend to use it with near-brutal efficiency.
    >>Randall Fitzgerald
    Thanks! I’m very happy to have Seiya here contributing, finding that just the presence of an extra person around really helps to lighten the load.
    Please do flame on if we don’t stick to update schedule. No more slacking around here, no sir!

6. pKjd August 7, 2006 at 6:57 pm #

It’s like 3am where I live, but I knew I just had to leave a quick comment before I turn in for the night. The site looks simply amazing! I love how everywhere you look, there’s an excessive amount of HD goodness that just reaches out and grabs your attention the second you walk in. You’ve really outdone yourself this time you know :D . I also went ahead and left a little note on my site. Congratulations on the grand opening of V3.0. I’ll be sure to stop by the forums the next time I have the chance.

7. loplop August 8, 2006 at 1:50 am #

The site looks great. I am amazed and pleased to see it up and running. Keep up the great work . . . .

8. Danny Choo August 8, 2006 at 7:09 am #

Hey Shingo,
    Been looking forward to the redesign – looks great. Keep up the great work.
    Danny

9. Shingo August 8, 2006 at 3:23 pm #

>>pKjd
    Thanks for the comment, glad you like what you see. Things are rather hectic around here at the moment but hopefully they’ll settle down soon and we can get back to the business of doing what HD normally does – namely, avoid posting news by any means possible. :D Thanks for the link-up, too! Really great of you.
    >>loplop
    Thanks a lot, sir. I’m amazed and pleased to see it up and running myself, wasn’t so sure it would all come together, but it seems it has somehow… trying to keep up some kind of work, don’t know how great it will be, heh. :p
    >>Danny Choo
    Thanks for stopping by! Glad you like what you see around here. I’ll be on press duty at Wonder Festival this summer so maybe we’ll have a chance to meet up and chat…

10. moetics August 10, 2006 at 1:04 am #

Awesome sir.

11. Ronin August 14, 2006 at 3:12 pm #

The site is not only compatible with Firefox, but with Opera as well!
    Good coding job!