NEWS FLASH: Kujibiki Unbalance Site Renewal, Trailer Online

dochira ni shiyou ka?

I was pleasantly surprised by just about everything in the 1-minute 50-second clip, from the OP theme to the warmth of the designs and overall animation quality. Could Kujian be this fall’s heartful anime?! Certainly not a replacement for the fabled Genshiken season 2 (which despite site updates I’m seriously doubting is ever going to be more than vaporware, at least from all currently credible information), but if they pull this show off right it could be a welcome addition to the canon. I’m more interested than ever to see the Kio-penned companion manga…

, , ,

0 Responses to NEWS FLASH: Kujibiki Unbalance Site Renewal, Trailer Online

1. Randall Fitzgerald June 27, 2006 at 5:47 am #

Hey!
    I YouTubed the video since the WMV9 is craptacular on my system, and other people’s as well, I’m sure.
    And that is why I am win. :D

2. Shingo June 27, 2006 at 5:55 am #

Superb! I had to resort to VideoLAN to get the WMV9 to render right on my system, so I’m sure this will be appreciated. You are indeed the win, sir.

3. DMC June 27, 2006 at 7:14 am #

For the aid of the Japanese-impaired, when exactly is this series coming out? I’m beginning to feel a hole has just opened up in my life and this is just the thing to fill it.
    Also, does anyone know who’s singing the OP?

4. Shingo June 27, 2006 at 7:34 am #

>>DMC
    The show is scheduled to air this fall, and the opening theme is called “Ai” and is sung by Atsumi Saori. Doesn’t ring a bell with me, but I’m not so up on my idol singers…

5. DMC June 27, 2006 at 11:59 am #

>>Shingo
    So would I be correct in assuming that the fall season starts in September?
    Also, a quick Google search revealed that Atsumi Saori did the ED themes for Genshiken and Midori’s Days (a.k.a. 美鳥の日々 for those who prefer the Japanese). Her blood type is O and her website is the oh-so-creatively-named http://www.saori-atsumi.com/
    W00t for useless knowledge?

6. Fabien June 27, 2006 at 12:21 pm #

I really do not dig the character design, the pukupuku style of Kio’s original is completely gone (they kinda look retarded now). And Ritsuko with a short skirt is blasphemy.
    The only hint a second season of Genshiken is coming has been here since the ending of the last episode of first season : the fact Ogiue is in it. I would gladly give them a lever to seen this part of the manga animated. Don’t give up your hope, Shingo.

7. Randall Fitzgerald June 27, 2006 at 6:32 pm #

I do like the opening, and DMC, September is a safe bet, though I’ve seen a few fall shows targeting October, so I wouldn’t doubt that either, especially with Media Factory’s hectic ass Fall schedule.

8. Socks Optional June 28, 2006 at 3:25 am #

This isn’t the same Kujibiki Unbalance that I remember. I didn’t even see one mushroom in that entire trailer. Although I was upset that the fix of Genshiken I was hoping for was going to actually be Kujibiki Unbalance I wasn’t that disappointed because the show had a very strange charm going for it. Do you remember the opening? UFOs, aliens, mages and girl who was into mushrooms way too much. Color me disappointed.

9. Shingo June 28, 2006 at 4:20 am #

>>DMC
    Thanks for the info. I don’t know that I’m particularly inspired enough to rush out and pick up all of her albums, but should that ever happen now we know where to go. :V I really do like the Genshiken ED, though.
    >>Fabien
    I agree about the character design, and the costumes. I guess I’m just trying to make the best of a bad situation and looking at this new Kujian as a different show entirely; compare them and we’re bound to be disappointed.
    I agree that they’ve set it up so there could be a second season of Genshiken in the works somewhere, but I’ll be treating it as a pleasant surprise should it eventually happen. As far as I’m concerned the “Genshiken” announced at fuyukomi last year has turned out to be this new Kujian, end of story. Alas. ;_;
    >>Socks Optional
    I miss the mushrooms too. And all of the other wackiness. I have no idea why they didn’t decide to stick with Kio’s original concept for the series; other OMG WACKY shows have succeeded remarkably well in similar veins (Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu, off the top of my head). As mentioned above, though, I’m trying to deal with the disappointment and keep this new thing, whatever it turns out to be, separate from the original Kujian.
    What’s perhaps most vexing is the thought of all the new fans the series might generate who have no idea where it came from and what they’re missing out on. :/