Adjusting the Signal

After more than eight years of living and working in Japan, in October I left the Land of the Rising Sun and the life of a professional otaku behind. I didn’t come to the decision easily; it was the result of a mess of thoughts that grew in my mind over the past year and coalesced over the summer into a decision that the status quo was no longer working.

I won’t go too deeply into the reasons; suffice to say that when I thought of the good side of my life in Japan and started thinking about goals for the future and the human connections I wanted to build, the Japan side came up short. That isn’t to say I don’t still love the country and the life I had there. I’m looking forward to return visits early and often.

Which leads to the topic of Heisei Democracy. I’m currently getting my bearings in a new home base in the Pacific Northwest, but as things quiet down I’m looking forward a return to pursuing figures, games, anime and manga as hobbies rather than a profession. Facing otakuism from the perspective of a pastime and not a day job will be a great chance to bring new life to this old site, and I look forward to delving into topics of 2D and 3D design with renewed vigor in the coming months.

I can’t predict what to expect from HD in the near future. It’s one of many plates now spinning on sticks that are propped on the roughly-hewn slope of a Puget Sound shanty (ah, tortured metaphors). But in the medium term and going forward, I expect HD to return to the evil hive of smut and Sano Toshihide worship it’s always been – now from a perspective a few thousand miles of Pacific away.

If you’re looking for raw coverage and great writing from a street level Japan-dwelling perspective in the meantime, you can’t do better than the fresh fellows over at Analog Housou. The dream lives on!

9 Responses to Adjusting the Signal

1. Sydney2K November 29, 2011 at 11:35 am #

Whoa! Totally did not expect this. Good luck in your future endeavours in Washington/British Columbia (strike out which ever is incorrect.)

2. Shingo November 30, 2011 at 4:17 am #

Thanks much! Washington it is. I have a lot of catching up to do, but I’m psyched to be 100% back on the fan side of things. The otaku spirit still burns!

3. LamuneIgasu December 1, 2011 at 8:24 pm #

Didn’t see this update coming at all! And I was just going to put this Sex Life poster in the closet! >_ >

Keep that fire burnin’! Glad to have you back! (o^_^)b

• Shingo December 12, 2011 at 9:15 am #

Thanks! It’s great to be back. That Sex Life poster deserves to be proudly displayed on the wall!

4. sheep December 6, 2011 at 6:12 pm #

Yes, good to have you back, I look forward to more posts. If I think about it, I mostly came here for Alicesoft info and some figure reviews had convinced me to buy some great ones. The long silence was sad, I liked the writing…but yeah, I think primarily I trust in Shingo’s taste of ero stuff. Notable articles that come to mind are a translation of Sano Toshihide’s interview, the visual novel vs eroge spectrum thing, and the trouble with continuing to buy figures to review for the site and how it became troublesome/reporting things you didn’t like. You do good work on this blog, that’s why I still check it, so yeah, welcome back to the states, glad to hear you still want to do this, keep up the good work.

• Shingo December 12, 2011 at 9:15 am #

Thanks so much. It’s good to be back, both on the site and back in the States. I’m feeling a lot more free to pursue this as a hobby now, and a lot of the fun is coming back – I’m excited to see where things will go!

5. wah December 13, 2011 at 1:34 am #

Hate to sound like a sap, but your link at the end means a lot, as the HD is part of what got me into blogging!

• Shingo December 16, 2011 at 10:24 am #

The torch has to be passed, man. One of our lineage must be in Japan at all times. So it was written, so it must be done.

There’s a synopsis for a show in there somewhere… seriously though, keep up the awesomeness, I enjoy reading everything you write!

6. Simon Peterson February 17, 2012 at 8:15 am #

I was only able to live in Japan for about a month (summer semester in college) and I really miss it, despite only being there for such a brief time. I’m sure it must be really tough for you!