Summer 2011 Events

I went to Takasaki today and stopped by Melon Books to pick up the catalogs for Wonder Festival Summer 2011, which is next Sunday (July 24th), and Comiket 80, which runs from August 12th through the 14th (Melon was giving away a free plastic carrying case with the Comiket catalog, which is the other object in the above picture). Along with Anime Expo 2011 these will form the big trifecta of otaku events for me this summer, and with a wonderful AX under my belt I’m looking forward to these two to the fullest extent the scorching Japanese summer heat will allow.

Keep an eye on this space for more coverage of this summer’s events!

, , , , , ,

9 Responses to Summer 2011 Events

1. Sydney2K July 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

I’m on course for at least the Saturday (I’m shepherding a group of cosplayers from the weekend before’s World Cosplay Summit), and maybe Friday as well. Hopefully I’ll know how to find you! Anything you need from Australia?

2. Sydney2K July 31, 2011 at 2:17 pm #

Hi, did you read my response?

3. Shingo August 1, 2011 at 8:42 am #

Crap! I missed this, sorry. Hmm, anything from Australia… I think I’m good, the summer is probably too hot to transport Tim Tams and I never did get too into Vegemite (is it bad that these are the two things I think of first when transportable items from Australia come to mind?)… orz

Sounds like an awesome trip you have planned! Odds are pretty good we can meet up if I end up making it Fri/Sat, I may just go Sunday, haven’t finalized plans yet. I’ll let you know.

• Sydney2K August 1, 2011 at 12:30 pm #

How about ugg boots for the upcoming winter :)

• Shingo August 2, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

Thankfully it doesn’t get cold enough here to require boots, nor snow more than once or twice a winter (though I often wish it did, I miss snow!).

4. Sydney2K August 11, 2011 at 11:51 pm #

OK, I’m here; what days are you going? I am definitely going Friday, and maybe Saturday (as the cosplayers I was escorting may be going to a nearby rival cosplay event.

• Shingo August 12, 2011 at 6:41 am #

It’s looking like I’ll be there Saturday and Sunday this time ’round, might be able to catch up with you on Saturday – will you be online while mobile, or have any way to be reached?

5. Sydney2K August 14, 2011 at 6:54 pm #

Oh god it was freakin’ hot all day. I didn’t totally hate the experience, but I can say I did hate the crowds- it was like being herded around like cattle. Being so hot and tired and exhausted made me so less enthusiastic that in the industry floors I just wandered around, just quickly looked to see if I would be interested and then went to the next, The gardens they had the cosplay quickly became a crush, as you couldn’t walk anywhere but the footpaths. And even leaving there was a crush to get out at the monorail stations and the subway station.

I went Friday and Saturday, and I had a phone, but as usual the reception inside the Big SIght was abysmal.

So, sorry I missed you Shingo. I am not sure Summer Comiket is one for me to repeat…

• Shingo August 16, 2011 at 5:51 pm #

I agree, this year was horrendous from the heat. In nine years of Comiketting this is the worst one I’ve been to weather-wise, worse than the year it snowed on the Tokyo Bay waterfront and worse than the ones it rained in the summer (those, at least, were a lot cooler).

I only stuck it out for about three hours on Saturday and one hour on Sunday before retreating, losing all that water really did a number on me. It was fun to see all the great cosplay, though – definitely worth going for me, but I’d think twice about coming to a summer one from abroad a second time.

No worries about the miss – I’m sure there will be other (hopefully less sweaty) chances!