Rise From Your Grave

Heisei Democracy: blogging since 2004, undead since 2010.

Rumors of the death of Heisei Democracy may have been exaggerated, but rumors of its new unlife have not – I’m slowly crawling my way back to the real world, through layers of dust accumulated over two years of Warcraft addiction.

In that time a lot has passed by without comment in these pages, and the site itself only partially survived a server cluster move last April. The move left it without FTP content entirely, and while with the help of the intrepid Jetfuel we were able to restore the database in a fresh WordPress install, the majority of the images are still missing, and the upgrade to WordPress 3 broke the old theme entirely. Instead of trying to reconstitute thousands of posts one by one and rebuild the old theme from deprecated elements, it seemed appropriate to start anew with a fresh look, an empty database and a pocket full of dreams for HD’s blogging future back at its original .net domain.

Having been away for awhile, the distance from the old HD has given some perspective on what caused my blogging motor to grind to a sputtering halt. It had become too much like a job, it took too much time away from enjoyment of the things I was writing about, I felt obliged to discuss things I had little interest in to begin with. It had become a chore. Along with that, I had become increasingly disenchanted with the anime and 2D culture scene in general. Following the minutiae of it in such detail, scrounging for tidbits like a 24-hour news service of ultimately trivial information, never being surprised or delighted by anything I found since it was almost always heralded by a spoiler from months before.

Starting up again my goal is to avoid a lot of the factors that contributed to the burnout. First, I plan to focus on posting about things that I have a personal interest in and where I can convey that interest effectively. Related, I’m resolving to use the main serialized blog feed for posts with substantial original content – whether it’s translation, review, photography, art, editorial commentary or something else. Items that are little more than news will end up in the Mainichi Junk feed, and for even briefer updates than that, see Twitter. This should help cut back on the massive daily net trawls that were so time consuming and headache inducing.

If this sounds like a cross between an unfinished laundry list and a self-motivational rally that’s because it is – this new site is still very much in development. There will be a lot of yukkuri taking it easy to start, as I catch up on much that was missed (yukkuri itself didn’t go viral until after I vanished, and now it’s ancient history. orz). Expect a fair amount of confused “what’s going on here guys” posting along with “so that’s what he/she/it/they’ve been up to” visiting of favorite creators’ work from the past two years.

I’m not committing to a solid posting schedule at the start. Updates will come when they come – but they will come, unlike the poor neglected HD of the past two years. I’d like to thank Seiya for keeping the flame alive there for as long as he did – he produced some great articles which really deserve to be read. The old HD.com will stay in place as an archive of what was, and I’ll be fussing with it a little to try to get it a bit prettier, but as of now it’s official – update your bookmarks, Heisei Democracy is back.

It’s good to be home.

Shingo is an otaku and recovering Warcraft addict who lives and works in the greater Tokyo area. Right now the best way to reach him is via comments on this blog, until he figures out how to deal with two years’ backlog of unread email.

38 Responses to Rise From Your Grave

1. Hinano October 1, 2010 at 12:03 am #

xD welcome back~ yukkurishitete itene~

• Shingo October 1, 2010 at 12:19 am #

Thanks! It’s a bit of a rush right now, but striving to be ever mindful of the yukkuri-ing to be done. Serious business!

2. shinji October 1, 2010 at 12:27 am #

Congratulations on the new site!

Now get back to #naisho, we’re still waiting :P

お疲れ様!

• Shingo October 1, 2010 at 11:15 am #

ただいま~。心配をかけて本当に申し訳なく思う。これから頑張って行きます。orz

改めてよろしくお願いします!

4. wah October 1, 2010 at 6:37 am #

I am wearing a Yuukuri shirt right now :x

Good to have the HD back! I knew you had it ya!!

• Shingo October 1, 2010 at 11:17 am #

I’m glad that I didn’t miss the yukkuri boom entirely, it’s an attractive lifestyle choice in so many ways. I’m also glad that someone knew I had this somewhere, I didn’t for quite awhile. :V

It’s good to be back.

• wah October 1, 2010 at 12:41 pm #

also that was not meant to be an angry smiley, i guess wordpress disagrees with me as to what : x means

• Shingo October 1, 2010 at 8:11 pm #

Agh, it auto-generated an emoticon there. I replied from the backend and didn’t see it, I’ll get those turned off.

5. Sydney2K October 1, 2010 at 12:32 pm #

Would you believe, I have been clicking on this link every day for goodness how long. It was dumb and stupid, because sites don’t live forever, they eventually die for lack of interest- so imagine my surprise when I clicked on the link, and instead of getting a window asking for a password, I get a fully fledged blog site again!

In other words, note me down as your most persistent visitor.

• Shingo October 1, 2010 at 8:13 pm #

Thank you for your patience, and thanks for coming back! I hope to make up for lost time at least a little as things go forward, while simultaneously living yukkuri and not burning out again. Here’s hoping another dry spell like the last doesn’t come along, at least not any time soon.

6. SbebiWan October 1, 2010 at 6:52 pm #

Welcome back !

• Shingo October 1, 2010 at 8:13 pm #

Thank you! Long time no see. :D

7. aiHD October 3, 2010 at 1:29 am #

Holy shit, Shingo – welcome back! Always enjoyed your articles, and meeting you at the 2007 Fuyuket meetup was pretty sugoi too. Looking forward to whereever you take this!

• Shingo October 5, 2010 at 11:41 am #

Haha, thanks – hoping to get some more Comiket shenanigans together again this coming year, we’ll see how things go!

8. Eroge Peddler October 3, 2010 at 2:51 am #

…why am I thinking Altered Beast here. 俺自重www

• Shingo October 5, 2010 at 11:42 am #

<-- Is a freaky werewolf dude IRL, so it's not too far a stretch.

9. Krynn October 3, 2010 at 3:13 am #

Huh. I was pointed here by a webcomic artist, and came only for the reason that the reference said you were a recovering WoW addict.. > >; (My current job satisfies my want for games, so I don’t even feel the need to get on except for the occasional dailies. o_O) It’s interesting to see how other people end up not playing as much..

I’ll be checking this out now if I can though!

• Shingo October 5, 2010 at 11:44 am #

I’m not logging in at all these days, and following the Cataclysm developments I’m not seeing enough to draw me back (I liked my brainless facerolling Paladin play style, thank you :V). I might muck about a bit when it drops, but I’m not too worried that it’ll suck me back in.

Great to have you stop by, and hopefully there will be enough of interest to keep you coming back. :)

10. Blowfish October 3, 2010 at 7:39 am #

Holy Hell!
    I had to doublecheck to make sure that this isnt a hallucination!
    Welcome back!

• Shingo October 5, 2010 at 11:49 am #

Thank you! No hallucinations here, hopefully this is a good thing. The games and figures are psychoactive and addictive enough already. <.<

11. Chag October 3, 2010 at 7:57 am #

Oh wow, I’m simply dumbfounded. I really don’t know what to say other than to repeat the sentiment of everyone else in these comments: welcome back! It’s been a long while, but I still remember your fantastic reviews. In fact, I distinctly remember that your Max Factory Shuraki Rize review as one of the reasons why I began to take interest in figure blogging.

Thank you for your great work in the past, and I hope you will rediscover the enjoyment of blogging in this reboot of Heisei Democracy!

• Shingo October 5, 2010 at 11:51 am #

Woo! Thank you, I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of typing that. I’m working on getting the figure side of things set back up, hoping to have a review out soonish. Lots of stuff in the backlog and some new things out this month that I’m pretty excited about… we’ll see how it goes, planning to experiment with some new photography options too. It’s good to be back in the fold.

12. raven241 October 4, 2010 at 7:48 am #

Welcome back!!!!

I really missed HD, you can take the things slowly.

• Shingo October 5, 2010 at 11:59 am #

Thank you! Slowly but surely is the plan.

13. Elevated October 5, 2010 at 1:01 pm #

Ah, an important part of the internet has been returned to my life.

‘Welcome Bacﻼ”

14. Soth October 7, 2010 at 7:11 pm #

I can’t believe Heisei Democracy AND Shingo are back!
    I really missed the old HD, and I’m glad you come back “for real” this time.

15. CircularLogic October 9, 2010 at 10:11 am #

Welcome back, I really did miss reading HD back in the day. It was the only place I cared about that gave me interesting news back in the day. Yukkurishite!

16. devastator October 10, 2010 at 12:29 pm #

Good to see you back Shingo, its been too long.

17. Anonymous Scanner October 22, 2010 at 6:52 am #

Wow, it’s great to see you back in action!

Now I just need to get my wallet to stop blubbering in terror at the thought of more figures being purchased… :D

18. Faust October 24, 2010 at 11:14 am #

Really glad to see you back!

19. The-O October 26, 2010 at 8:08 am #

SHINGO! You’re alive! Welcome back to the real world! Well, the world of 2D anyways…

20. sheep November 1, 2010 at 6:23 pm #

I was sad when it went away, and I’m glad your back to blogging. Welcome back, Shingo. I hope your able to continue blogging about stuff you like…and making me spend my monies in this tough economy on awesome stuff. Or just reading fun articles is great too.

21. meow November 22, 2010 at 2:59 pm #

OMG. HD lives again. I just happened to click on one of my old favorite links, expecting to see the old blog frozen in time for a bit of nostalgia. Instead I get a link to a scene of resurrection. Yum. Looking forward to more glimpses of the holy land of otaku.

Btw, rumor has it, besides the burnout, you had your soul trapped by one of dem most evil eaters of money, time and attention: the dreaded MMORPG. Glad you managed to escape. XD

Ma, jibun no pace de gambatene. Itsudemo ooenshimasu.

22. Tyris December 14, 2010 at 12:45 pm #

Holy @#$%
    You’re alive!!
    I’d always wondered what happened to HD… you sort of disappeared from the interwebz completely Shingo!

I’ve still got your business card lying around somewhere from a comiket meetup a few years back… speaking of which… any chance of another meetup this year?

Anyway – Fantastic to see you back =)